The Vice President / Director of Marketing and Communications is a high impact, leadership position, requiring a strong background in communications and public relations. This newly created position will be in charge of planning, managing and executing on the overall marketing, PR and communications strategy for the IPA and driving our organizational profile towards measurable impact. They will develop and implement an internal and external facing strategic communications plan for the organization’s programs and brand and lead the organization’s overall strategic planning with our primary audiences. These include media outlets, federal and state policy makers, IPA members, partner organizations, and interested stakeholders in the financial services and capital markets industry.
The Institute for Portfolio Alternatives is a 35 year-old trade association that serves the alternative investments industry, including private real estate, public and private credit and other real assets. Headquartered in Washington, DC, the IPA represents global, institutional and boutique asset managers, distribution partners such as large wire houses, broker-dealers and registered investment advisers, and industry partners including law firms, accounting firms, and technology platforms.
The association is based in Washington, D.C., but the position is fully remote/home-based. Candidates will be considered within and outside of the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area. The role requires up to 15% travel.
We are a small, dynamic, and committed team, adept at multitasking and collaborating across responsibilities as necessary.
- Develop and execute the IPA’s marketing and communications strategy to support overall brand awareness and growth. Maintain a strong and distinctive brand voice for all public relations, marketing, advertising, and communications outreach.
- Collaborate with the CEO, association staff, member volunteers, and consultants to develop and implement marketing and communications strategies to promote the association’s offerings and priorities, including maintaining an overall calendar, schedule and budget.
- Proactively and reactively seek media coverage opportunities in traditional and nontraditional outlets to advance the association’s strategic goals.
- Draft, propose, and implement marketing campaigns for signature conferences and events to optimize participation, as well as membership development, educational offerings, policy and advocacy initiatives and other association priorities; campaigns may include email, social media, direct outreach, presentations, and other communications channels.
- Oversee the development of collateral including podcasts, event publications, annual reports, newsletters, and other materials.
- Work with leadership to develop and implement social media strategy; handle day-to-day posting and monitoring of social media activities; analyzes results and produces reports.
- Manage website content, including writing, editing, and updating content; work independently and with website developer/host and graphic designer to implement website requests; monitor and report site analytics.
- Manage relationships, workflow, quality control, and budgets for communications vendors, including graphic designers, website developer/host, printers, promotional item providers, photographers, and others.
- Provides onsite support at association conferences and events.
- Organizes and maintains a repository of digital assets, including photos, images, and graphic templates.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Reports to: IPA President & CEO
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Experience designing and executing creative marketing and communications strategies that are aligned with organizational goals.
- Relationship building ability and experience, especially with media outlets.
- Superior writing ability, verbal and public speaking communications skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite. The association uses MemberSuite for our Association Management System.
- Experience building and deploying emails via MailChimp, Constant Contact, or a similar email program.
- Working knowledge of website content management systems, WordPress experience is a plus.
- Experience working within or with a trade association or nonprofit organization preferred.
Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in English, Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or a related field with advanced degree (preferably MBA, JD, MPA, MPP) highly desirable.
- At least five years of experience in a relevant area of communications, marketing, or public relations, preferably in a membership organization setting.
- Experience in the financial services and capital markets industry and/or with elected officials, agency heads and policymakers in Washington, DC is a plus.
- Ability to manage multiple, complex issues and strong business acumen.
- High energy, self-motivated, positive attitude.
For all submissions, please email email@example.com